Thread: Power consumption notes on Noble Numbat 24.04 from a ThinkPad user

Beans

Power consumption notes on Noble Numbat 24.04 from a ThinkPad user

I'm on a ThinkPad E14 G4 i5 running Noble Numbat. I went from 22.04.3.

I think the waking power consumption is better with 24.04.

When I do light tasks (editing using VS Code with a few linting plugins active) my 22.04 consumption used to be 8-10W. On 24.04 it is ~6W. I'm always on power saver mode.

The power draw in sleep is indistinguishable, which I estimate to be 0.3 W on 22.04 and 0.288 W on 24.04.

Wake from sleep has generally been fine, though with both 22.04 and 24.04 I will have the occasion when the keyboard does not work, or the mouse will not work, or wake up takes a long time. Mostly though it has been reliable.

UI-wise, I am enjoying the popup menu that lets me mess with WiFi and display. I especially like that I can switch night lite on and off so easily now.

Thanks for all your work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Power consumption notes on Noble Numbat 24.04 from a ThinkPad user

Hi and welcome to Ubuntu forums. I see you decided to come here after the off-topic feedback you got over on askubuntu.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Re: Power consumption notes on Noble Numbat 24.04 from a ThinkPad user

Just installed 24.04 on my Lenovo T15 , and it is horrible. about 18W just idling (no processes uses more than 1% CPU) no apps started, and 18 W
    Edit:
    Then I switched to the "open kernel" Nvidia driver, and back to the "proprietary-tested" driver, and all was fine. idle is about 4W (no browser, nothing open, display a at 25% brighness ) and a HD x265 movie plays at 8W - all good.
    Last edited by Andre-D; 1 Week Ago at 12:28 PM.